Primary Years Program (Pre-school to Grade 5)
We focus on the development of the whole child as an inquirer in both the classroom and in the world outside. The Primary Years Program provides a foundation for academic rigor and innovation that will follow the student throughout the learning journey and beyond.
Our teachers will inspire students to become independent thinkers in Dwight’s tradition of personalized learning.
The PYP at Dwight is designed to:
- Teach students a broad base of knowledge and skills in subjects, including mathematics and science, social studies, the arts and language in line with PYP and, for math and language arts, with reference to Common Core standards.
- Incorporate six transdisciplinary themes that encourage students to learn more about themselves and the world around them and to understand how they interconnect.
- Foster every student’s development of learning with a powerful emphasis on important ideas and concepts through the units of inquiry.
- Emphasize the development of the whole student, including the cognitive, social, emotional and physical well-being of every child.
- Empower students to develop independence and to take responsibility for their own learning.