History of Dwight
Dwight’s legacy of innovation and personalized learning dates back to 1872. We are proud to be part of a global network of Dwight schools and to bring this long and rich history as a premier international independent school to the UAE in collaboration with Bloom Education.
From the very beginning, the Dwight school was designed to prepare graduates for admission to Harvard and Yale; our school’s namesake is Yale’s twelfth President, Timothy Dwight V (also known as Timothy Dwight, the Younger).
For 145 years, our visionary leaders have transformed the educational landscape, while our illustrious alumni have left their mark on our world.
Seven Dwight Firsts
Recognized as a pioneer in global education, Dwight:
- Was the first school in the Americas which offered the comprehensive IB curriculum from preschool to graduation.
- Was the first school in the U.S.A to establish an international campus in London in 1972.
- Was the first school to create a joint diploma program with Beijing’s Capital Normal High School in China.
- Was the only school selected by the Seoul Municipal Government to open a model IB World School in Seoul.
- Was one of six schools selected from over 3,700 schools worldwide to pilot online education for IB in 2013. This is now Dwight Global.
- Has a one-of-a-kind school in China: In 2014, Dwight opened the Shanghai Qibao Dwight High School, the first non-profit, independent, Chinese-foreign collaborative high school.
- Is opening the first Dwight School in the Middle East with Dwight School Dubai, in the year of Zayed. It will also be the fifth Dwight Global school to open in the world.
At Dwight School Dubai, we will celebrate the exemplary vision of the Founding Father of our host nation, Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan and hope to contribute to his vision by fostering future leaders with strong ethical values and a deep respect for traditions and pioneering creativity to boost productivity and sustainable community cohesion.